Saturday, January 2, 2010

Friend Cap

Friendships are a funny thing. We all have them. You go out with said friend and offer to buy them something. They see this as your gesture of being a nice, considerate friend. So they in return pick something reasonable for you to purchase. This is called a friend cap. All friends have them. An, I buy something now and you just get me back later type of friendship. It's healthy, normal, and an accepted part of society.

Well, I have a friend who continually breaks the friend cap. It's gotten to a point where I have to now place monetary (if any) restraints on my offer. Like, if I receive a ride and I offer to pay gas, I have to give an immediate number in fear that he might fill his tank and I be stuck with the bill.

The last blatant disregard of the friend cap occurred a few weeks ago. We were at a popular grocery store with another friend. I offered to get him something to eat. He declined. I then knowing that he drove offered him something to drink. He accepted. He picked a lemonade and we were off to the register. I find out unceremoniously that the drink he chose was a $7 non-alcoholic lemonade. First off, who the fuck buys any drink (non-alcoholic) that costs over $3 especially on someone else's dime? What kind of reptilian shit is that? I mean I know it isn't malicious, but goddamn. You are with friends. Why try to take advantage of them?

The protocol for friends is to keep the price reasonable. And if you feel you are going to go above and beyond, tell your friend. Say hey, this is this much. Can I get it. By doing this you are letting your friend know that you acknowledge you are breaking the friend cap. That you are respectful of their wallet.

He did not. He saw this an opportunity to try a drink he wouldn't buy on his own because it was too damn expensive. The only reason I didn't call him out on it at the store was because a hot girl was in line. I have a rule. I never embarrass my homies in front of a hot girl. Whether they have a shot or not.

Now this isn't the first time he has broken the friend cap, and it won't be the last.

So a word to the wise. Don't break the friend cap. It only makes you look like a dick.

1 comment:

  1. That sucks that the said person doesn't know the parameters of the friend cap but I have to admit 7 dollars for a non alcoholic beverage is an outrage and I feel like I would have pulled him to the side and gave some very choice words.

    ReplyDelete