Friday, February 26, 2010

The Mist

So I was watching the Mist today. It's a pretty good movie starring Thomas Jane that came out a few years ago. Let me rephrase that, it's an amazing movie. One of the best I've seen in years. The underlying theme in the movie is how religion can and is used for evil to instill fear and obedience in society. This is so true in my opinion. Many people over the years have either said they were a prophet or sent down from heaven to lead the people to salvation, only to be found out as liars. Now, I am not an atheist. I guess I would be considered Agnostic. Meaning I believe that there is a God (I grew up in the south in a hybrid Catholic/Baptist society), but not in a particular religion. My life in churches in the South has slowly turned me off to the organized religion. They have a you vs us attitude.

I understand the purpose of religion and I think it's very necessary. It's purpose is to instill hope and inspire the masses to achieve great things. And in that respect I think religion is a beautiful thing that could make individuals better in their day to day lives. The problem with that is that there has to be someone in charge and humans (in my opinion) are inherently evil (with the capacity to do good). Not going to go on a long rant about the crusades, Republicans, or try to disprove any particular religion or sect. What I would say is that if it makes you a better person and helps you lead a better life, believe what ever you want. I will fully support it (Like my opinion on your life actually matters. haha).

To sum up the post: Religion should be used for the betterment of an individual and society as a whole.

Its funny that all of this was sparked by watching 'The Mist'. Go Thomas Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment